According to the pro-ET lobbying group Paradigm Research Group,
An event with historical implications will be held at the National Press Club in Washington, DC from April 29 to May 3, 2013. At that time as many as forty researchers and military/agency witnesses will testify for thirty hours over five days before former members of the United States Congress... The Citizen Hearing on Disclosure of an extraterrestrial presence engaging the human race will attempt to accomplish what the Congress has failed to do for forty-five years - seek out the facts surrounding the most important issue of this or any other time.But of course, to lobby for "disclosure" implies that there is something to "disclose," which is highly dubious. And to hold a valid "hearing" implies that witnesses are queried under oath, which of course will not be the case, leaving them free to fabricate as much as they please without fear of repercussions. The five former members of Congress are being paid a reported $20,000 each by Paradigm to participate in this circus.
"Former Alaska senator and presidential candidate Mike Gravel [Dem/Lib,AK] is participating in a forum that seeks to prove that aliens have visited earth"
“I agreed to participate,” Gravel told CBS 11 via telephone. “I have my own views and skepticism, but I'm reading up on the subject, and like anything else, the more you read up on the subject the more you become surprised. I have no preconceived ideas that there are or aren't extraterrestrial influences as to things that are going on, and I'm curious. I do a lot of reading and studying about what's going on, especially as I get older, and so I'm curious if there is something out there that they can prove to skeptical eye.”
Former Rep. Merrill Cook, [R-Utah] says he "doesn’t believe aliens have made contact with Earth, but he promises to keep an open mind as he participates in 30 hours of testimony in a mock hearing".
|Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick|
Another is from Michigan: "A group hoping to prove alien contact with Earth has tapped former U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick to help convince the federal government to acknowledge the existence of extraterrestrials. The Detroit Democrat will help preside over 30 hours of congressional-style hearings."
The other participants are former representatives Lynn Woolsey [D-CA], and Roscoe Bartlett [R-MD].
As for those giving "testimony," it's mostly the usual suspects whose stories we've heard over and over.
- Sgt. Jim Penniston (USAF-Ret) claims to have not only seen a UFO land at Rendlesham, UK, but to have received a binary message from it, telepathically, that is now being deciphered. Although the incident occurred in 1980, these details were just revealed (or, more likely, just made up) in 2010.
- Dr. Steven Greer, whose new documentary movie Sirius promises Free Energy and a Dead Alien. "The Earth has been visited by advanced Inter-Stellar Civilizations that can travel through other dimensions faster than the speed of light," according to Greer.
- Nick Pope, who worked, part time, on the U.K.'s Ministry of Defense UFO investigations twenty years ago, and has been making a career as a UFO celebrity from it since. Pope has spent the last year or so denying his own statements made about forthcoming 'alien invasions.'
- Richard Dolan, whose most recent talk at the International UFO Congress was about 'mysteries' of ancient pyramids, UFO crash retrievals, reverse-engineeered alien technology, a "secret space program," human-alien hybrids, telepathic alien contact, and mind control.
- Linda Moulton Howe, who routinely makes all kinds of wild claims, such as that aliens are using lasers to remove body parts from dead cows.
|2010 'UFOs and Nukes' Press Conference in DC|
On September 27, 2010, UFOlogist Robert Hastings organized a "Disclosure Conference" also at the National Press Club in Washington, DC. Many claims were made about UFOs supposedly interfering with U.S. nuclear missiles, as if the aliens were pacificsts. (However, the Russian-born UFOlogist Paul Stonehill has elsewhere claimed that UFOs attempted to launch Soviet missiles, as if the aliens were war mongers.) A rebuttal to one of Hastings' main cases is here.
On April 20, 2009, Bassett and Paradigm Research hosted a "disclosure" press conference at the National Press Club. Among the speakers then were Edgar Mitchell, Nick Pope, Richard Dolan, and Roger Leir, who are all also speaking in 2013.
On April 21, 2008, Bassett and Paradigm Research held a UFO-related Press Conference at the National Press Club in Washington, DC. Among the speakers were Richard Dolan and Grant Cameron, who will both be speaking again in 2013.
On Septermber 17, 2007, Bassett and Paradigm Research held a press conference at the National Press Club,
to demand that presidential candidates support a "truth amnesty" to end the "government-imposed truth embargo on the facts confirming an extraterrestrial presence."Among the participants was Alfred Lambremont Webre, who recently has been claiming that Barack Obama was teleported to Mars in the 1980s. Bassett presented Webre with a Lifetime Achievement award in 2007 for his work for 'disclosure,' although Bassett has since distanced himself from Webre's Mars Teleportation claims.
|November, 2007 UFO Press Conference|
On May 9, 2001, with much ballyhoo Steven Greer launched his UFO "Disclosure Project" with a press conference at the National Press Club. The 2013 Paradigm speakers who also spoke in 2001 are Nick Pope, Edgar Mitchell, Robert Salas, George A. Filer, Robert Wood, and Steven Greer. It is unclear if these "witnesses" will have anything substantial to add to the claims they made in the 2001 press conference.
So clearly, in the matter of 'Disclosure,' there is "nothing new under the sun." I hope I didn't forget any other "UFO disclosure" press conferences. If I did, please let me know!
The above is Rachel Maddow's show on MSNBC for April 12, largely devoted to what she describes as these "fake hearings."